ASCP has published study guides and books to help your students prepare for the certification/licensure examination.
BOC Study Guide: Clinical Laboratory Certification Examinations Book and Bundle
- 2,500 questions anytime, anywhere
- Updated and expanded edition now includes molecular pathology, lab information, safety and much more
- Buy the bundle and access on any device browser with internet access
- The Study Guide can be purchased separately in paperback or app format
BOC Study Guide: Histotechnology Certification Examination
- Covers all areas on the BOC HT and HTL exams, including fixation, processing, microtomy, staining, and lab operations
- Over 1,100 multiple choice questions
- Practice questions presented in a format and style similar to the exam
- Valuable information about the development, content, structure and scoring of the exam
Online Practice Tests
Purchase of the Online Practice Tests includes:
- 90 day online access
- Comprehensive diagnostic scores
- Discussion Boards
Online Practice Tests are available for the following certification exam.
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
- Phlebotomy Technician (PBT)
- Cytotechnologist (CT)
- Specialist in Chemistry (SC)
- Histotechnician (HT)
- Histotechnologist (HTL)
Become An ASCP Student Member
You are eligible to be a Laboratory Student Member if you are enrolled in a regionally accredited college/university science program or a medical laboratory science program approved by an appropriate accrediting agency.
Laboratory Student Member Benefits
Laboratory Student Membership - Free
- Virtual ID card
- Online & print subscription to Critical Values
- Online subscriptions to the American Journal of Clinical Pathology (AJCP) and Lab Medicine
- Daily Diagnosis email news, ONELab Memos and ePolicy News
- Exclusive discounts on annual meetings, educational products and services
- Valuable savings through our Member Rewards Program
- Add options to your membership after signing up
The Value of an ASCP Laboratory Student Membership
- Access to the most current scientific content through AJCP and Lab Medicine
- Stay abreast of changes affecting policy related to the laboratory
- Access to key thought leaders
- Connect to a network of students like you
Gain recognition for your efforts and apply for the ASCP National Student Honor Award and other opportunities.
ASCP National Student Honor Award
ASCP is committed to advancing laboratory medicine by recognizing future leaders in the profession. If your students have demonstrated academic excellence, community service and leadership, nominate them for an ASCP National Student Honor Award! Up to 10 laboratory science students will be selected to receive this prestigious honor.
Ten awardees will receive:
- A personalized certificate
- A BOC Study Guide book of your choice
2017 Top Ten Recipients
Steven Brady, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Christopher Glavaris, Univeristy of Maryland Baltimore
Rochelle Haisley, Indian River State College
Kala Karrow, Allen College
Pijush Mallick, Mercer County Community College
Zach Mullen, Indian River State College
Beth Ostrander, State University of New York at Cobleskill
Emily Palser, University of Nebraska Medical Center
Beatrice Rukenwa, Univeristy of Maryland Baltimore
Kara Smolarek, Indian River State College
Nominate a Member
Complete an ASCP National Student Honor Award Nomination Form online with any necessary supplementary information. (Available November 2017)
[Button: “Nominate a Laboratory Student Member” – Link to ASCP National Student Honor Award Nomination Form Online]
This award is open to current Laboratory Student members who must meet the following requirements:
- Be a current Laboratory Student Member of ASCP. (Student membership is FREE!)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- Demonstrate leadership and community service participation.
- Be in one of the following categories:
- Completing the final clinical year of an accredited MLS, MLT, PA, CT, HTL, MB, or CG program.
- Completing a clinical internship for an accredited MLS or CT program
- Enrolled in an accredited, hospital-based MLS program.
- Enrolled in an accredited PBT, HT or MLA program.
- Students may not self-nominate.
- Program directors or instructors may nominate multiple students for this award.
ASCP Career Center
The ASCP Career Center provides valuable career information and resources including wage and salary data.
The ASCP Wage and Vacancy Survey are conducted every two years by ASCP. The Wage Survey reports the national average annual salaries for laboratory professionals. The report also provides useful geographic information, including states with highest and lowest pay specific job categories.
The ASCP Vacancy Survey results provides a national snapshot of the laboratory workforce vacancy rate. The survey has served as the primary source of information for academic, government, and industry labor analysts.