ASCP has published study guides and books to help your students prepare for the certification/licensure examination.
BOC Study Guide: Clinical Laboratory Certification Examinations Book and Bundle
- 2,500 questions anytime, anywhere.
- Updated and expanded edition now includes molecular pathology, lab information, safety and much more.
BOC Study Guide: Histotechnology Certification Examination
- Covers all areas on the BOC HT and HTL exams, including fixation, processing, microtomy, staining and lab operations.
- Over 1,100 multiple choice questions.
- Practice questions presented in a format and style similar to the exam.
- Valuable information about the development, content, structure and scoring of the exam.
*NEW* BOC Interactive Practice Exam – MLT and MLS
Versatile and extremely valuable, the BOC Interactive Practice Exam enables the user to build custom quizzes and timed practice tests based on topics, difficulty and more, pulling from a library of nearly 2,500 study questions built by ASCP. You can even compare question-level results to see how your peers are answering.
- Nearly 2,500 questions (same as the BOC Study Guide).
- User can build their own quiz or timed practice exam, choosing questions based on:
- Subject area.
- Difficulty level – Based on data from other users.
- Practice Exam allows user to set a time limit to simulate a real exam scenario.
- MLT-only filter can be applied for those studying for MLT Exam.
- Mobile friendly – Access anywhere on desktop or mobile.
- Commentary and references can be turned on or off for different study styles.
MLT and MLS Educators: You can purchase the interactive practice exams for your students and get access to advanced reporting features, including comparative data across program averages.* Click here for program-level ordering information.
*Peer comparison and question difficulty features will be made available once a minimum participant threshold has been met.
Laboratory Student Member
Encourage Your Students to Join ASCP
Your students are eligible to be a Laboratory Student Member if they are enrolled in a regionally accredited college/university science program or a medical laboratory science program approved by an appropriate accrediting agency.
Laboratory Student Member Benefits
Laboratory Student Membership - Free
- Virtual ID card
- Online & print subscription to Critical Values
- Online subscriptions to the American Journal of Clinical Pathology (AJCP) and Lab Medicine
- Daily Diagnosis email news, ONELab Memos and ePolicy News
- Exclusive discounts on annual meetings, educational products and services
- Valuable savings through our Member Rewards Program
- Add options to your membership after signing up
The Value of an ASCP Laboratory Student Membership
- Access to the most current scientific content through AJCP and Lab Medicine
- Stay abreast of changes affecting policy related to the laboratory
- Access to key thought leaders
- Connect to a network of students like you
Gain recognition for your efforts and apply for the ASCP National Student Honor Award and other opportunities.
ASCP Laboratory Program Development GrantsASCP’s Laboratory Program Development Grants to help laboratory science programs educate and empower future medical laboratory professionals.
Grants of up to $2,500 are available to support:
- Ongoing or new research projects
- New supplies and other equipment
- Advertising and outreach efforts to promote the profession
- Or education for staff or students
To apply, programs must:
- Be NAACLS or CAAHEP accredited. Programs that have gained "serious applicant status" by NAACLS are also eligible to apply.
- Have at least one leader of the program as an ASCP member.
How to Apply
- Complete the online Grant Application
- Include a project abstract.
- Attach a project overview.
MLS Online Review CourseASCP offers a competency-based curriculum to help U.S. and international medical laboratory scientists (MLSs) who plan on becoming ASCP/ASCPi MLS certified prepare for this examination. In addition to functioning as a concise review, covering the highlights of the content areas on the MLS exam, the MLS Online Review Course can also help you determine when you are ready to take the exam.
This course consists of 10 interactive online modules highlighting key areas on the MLS exam, incorporating case studies, real-life scenarios, and feedback. Nine of the ten modules will highlight the key content areas on the MLS exam. The tenth module will provide you with information on the MLS certification process, including computer adaptive testing, what to expect on the day of testing and tips for taking the exam.
When used in combination with the BOC Study Guide: Clinical Laboratory Examinations, you will have a comprehensive suite of materials to prepare for the Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) certification examination.