International Certification and Qualification


ASCPi Certification & Qualification: Our Global Response to a Changing World

International Credentials through ASCPi help you stay focused on work and education priorities no matter where you’re located.

ASCP offers its gold standard credentials in the form of international certification to eligible individuals worldwide. The ASCPi credential certifies professional competency among new and practicing laboratory personnel in an effort to contribute globally to the highest standards of patient safety. Graduates of medical laboratory science programs outside the United States are challenged with content that mirrors the standards of excellence established by ASCP exams. The ASCPi credential carries the weight of eighty years of expertise in clinical laboratory professional certification.

To read more about the BOC, click here

State Licensure

International Medical Technologist (MT) / International Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)

Application Fee: $200*

The ASCP Board of Certification examination for International Medical Technologist, MT(ASCPi) / International Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS(ASCPi) has been approved for licensure purposes by the state of California effective June 1, 2007. Information on the requirements and application process may be obtained at the CDPH Laboratory Field Service web site.

  • OPTION 1: Not yet certified: Applying for CA licensure and the MLS(ASCPi) exam
  • OPTION 2: Already certified: Obtaining CA licensure after passing the MT(ASCPi) / MLS(ASCPi) exam

* International Pricing Policy: Applicants who both (a) obtained medical laboratory education in, AND (b) currently reside in select nations will receive discounted pricing of $95 for all international certification examination categories: International Pricing Policy.

The U.S. has several states which require licensure or certification to work as an MT/MLS or MLT. Effective June 1, 2007, the MT(ASCPi) examination is recognized as an approved exam for California Licensure. Each state has its own set of rules and guidelines, so you must contact the licensure agency in each state for information about these requirements.

We have provided the name, address and telephone number as a point of contact and information only for those states that require licensure or certification (in state of Georgia) for Medical Laboratory Scientist and other laboratory personnel. Because health care regulation is an ever-changing process, it is important that you direct all inquiries to the state department at the phone numbers and addresses listed below:

To help you prepare for the immigration process, the following resources are available below:

  • Homeland Security Rules
  • VisaScreen
    • Medical Laboratory Scientists (Medical Technologists) or Medical Laboratory Technicians seeking temporary or permanent occupational visas or Trade NAFTA (TN) status, must first obtain a CGFNS/ICHP VisaScreen Certificate as part of the visa process. Potential immigrants with other means by which to enter the US (i.e. immigration through a family member) do not need to go through the VisaScreen process to practice as an MT/MLS/MLT in the US.
    • Applicants who successfully complete VisaScreen receive a VisaScreen Certificate, which can be presented to a consular office, or in the case of adjustment of status, the attorney general as part of a visa application.
  • H1B VISA PROCESS: To obtain an H1B visa, an applicant must 'first' find an H1B job with an H1B visa employer company in the USA; commonly known as your 'H1B sponsor'.
    • Your H1B sponsor then applies for/files your H1B visa application. Individuals can NOT sponsor or apply for their own H1B visa—ONLY your new employer (sponsor) can.
    • An H1B visa is typically valid for up to six years and entitles your spouse (husband/wife) and children to accompany you and 'live' in the USA.
    • One of the main advantages of the H1B visa (US work permit) is that it is a 'dual intent' visa which means that you can apply for a Green Card (Legal Permanent Residency).
  • Immigration to the US: ASCP does believe that obtaining the ASCPi certification will help you find employment in the US.

    It is not required by law that you must be certified to work as a medical technologist/medical laboratory scientist. That is, due to the shortage of medical technologists/medical laboratory scientists in the US, it is possible to find a job without having certification. However, pay is typically better and employers typically prefer employees who are certified.

    Although the government does not require certification, some states require licensure. States requiring licensure have additional requirements, and may not recognize the ASCPi certification. If this list includes the state in which you wish to find employment, I would suggest you contact the corresponding person to inquire on state licensure requirements. To view state licensure agencies, view the State Licensure Agencies tab.

    For more information, visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.