Pathology Informatics: Theory & Practice
Order # 5831 | ISBN: 9780891895831
Liron Pantanowitz, MD
J. Mark Tuthill, MD
Ulysses G.J. Balis, MD
Pathology Informatics: Theory & Practice is the first multi-authored, current and comprehensive compendium of the diverse and rapidly expanding field of pathology informatics.
It includes all of the critical and practical advice for management, operations, budgeting, and project planning and will serve as a comprehensive review of the field for students, pathologists, and laboratory professionals. This book deals with the role of computing hardware, software and databases involved in the efficient information management for pathology practice, as well as the fundamental science of informatics that is so deeply embedded in this subspecialty.
The text builds from basic principles of computer theory to more sophisticated informatics concepts.
- Databases and data mining; networks and workstations; system interfaces and interoperability.
- Bioinformatics, imaging informatics, clinical informatics, and public health informatics.
- Automation and middleware that facilitate complex workflows encountered in both anatomic and clinical pathology practice.
- Molecular testing and point of care solutions.
- Coding and nomenclature.
- Standards in Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and imaging systems.
- Project management and business skills.
- Pathology reporting.
- Electronic medical records.
- Specimen tracking and identification.
- Error reduction and quality management.
- Training and education in pathology informatics.
336 pages | 112 figures | 368 tables | Hardbound
"The book is very well organized and takes the reader from the basics of computer science and networking (the necessary foundation to set up and efficiently operate a laboratory information system) to structure of databases, laboratory information systems (LIS) and electronic health records. The book also devotes separate chapters to rapidly developing fields of telepathology, advanced imaging techniques, and quality assurance/quality control issues. It is very well written, well illustrated, and easy to understand (for the most part) even for someone who is not very tech savvy." - Yury Sheykin
Buy this book with 4 Online CE cases for a special price here.