If college credits are required for the examination category, you must submit an official transcript or transcript evaluation as described below:
- MLS, MLT, CG, CT, HT, HTL, MB, PA, and SBB applicants from National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)/Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)/Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited programs* - official transcript from the regionally accredited college/university, bearing the embossed seal of the college/university, the signature of the Registrar and the date the degree was conferred, must be submitted to our office upon completion of all degree requirements. An official transcript verifying the date degree was conferred is required before you will be certified and your examination scores emailed to you.
*Note: Applicants from NAACLS/ABHES/CAAHEP accredited programs who do not appear OR fail the examination and wish to reapply, will not be sent an admission letter until the ASCP Board of Certification receives an official transcript verifying degree and date of degree conferral.
- Academic work completed at a regionally accredited United States college/university or an accredited Canadian university - official transcript from the regionally accredited college/university, bearing the embossed seal of the college/university, the signature of the Registrar and the date the degree was conferred, must be submitted to our office in order to determine eligibility.
Regionally accredited colleges or universities are accredited by one of the following associations:
- MSA - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- NWCCU - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- NCA-HLC - North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- NEASC-CIHE - New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.
- SACS/CC - Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Colleges
- WASC-ACCJR - Western Association of Schools and Colleges
If you are applying for one for the following certifications, specialist in Blood Banking (SBB), Specialist in Chemistry (SC), Specialist in Cytotechnology (SCT), Specialist in Hematology (SH), Specialist in Microbiology (SM) or Technologist in Molecular Biology (MB) and were previously certified as a technologist (MT, CT, BB, C, H, HTL, I, M) beginning January 2000, you are not required to submit an official transcript verifying your baccalaureate degree provided you supply your Certification Number on your application form.
Note: A three year baccalaureate degree from a Canadian University is not acceptable for the technologist level examinations or higher. A minimum four year baccalaureate degree is required for ALL technologist and specialist level examination categories.
Canadians applying for Medical Laboratory Science (MLS), Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) or Cytotechnologist (CT) certification examination must have completed a CMA Accredited Medical Laboratory Technology Training Program.
- Academic work completed at colleges and universities outside of the United States and Canada. Only evaluations from listed agencies (PDF) will be accepted. Contact the agency directly for information on obtaining an evaluation verifying degree equivalency and a subject breakdown. The original or notarized copy of the evaluation showing degree equivalency and subject breakdown should be submitted with the application form.
- NAACLS ACCREDITED PROGRAMS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES.
Students from NAACLS accredited programs outside of the United States should contact their program director for the appropriate documentation for verification of your degree.