ASCP 2013—Expanding Leadership Role
Three general sessions at this year’s Annual Meeting underscore the overarching theme, “Beyond the Lab.” These sessions will focus on patient-centered health care, appropriate test utilization, and how pathologists and laboratory professionals can enhance the value of their diagnostic work by using data analytics.
Wednesday, Sept 18. | 8:00AM—9:30AM
A panel of nationally renowned leaders in pathology moderated by James Crawford, MD, FASCP, Senior Vice President of Laboratory Medicine, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, Manhasset, N.Y.
This session will address:
- The clinical laboratory in the context of coordinated care.
- Accountable care organizations (ACOs), and value-based practice of medicine.
- Patient-centered health care
Thursday, Sept 19. | 11:15AM—12:30PM
Moderated by Lee Hilborne, MD, MPH, FASCP, DLM(ASCP)CM,
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of
California, Los Angeles and Medical Director for Quest Diagnostics in
Gary W. Procop, MD, MS, FASCP, and Elaine Jeter, MD, will identify ways for laboratory professionals to engage the clinical team and the public in a dialogue about the clinical utility of the tests they offer.
- Dr. Jeter is Medical Director of Palmetto GBA, LLC, one of Medicare's larger insurance carriers, in Columbia, S.C.
- Dr. Procop led the Cleveland Clinic's successful review process of duplicative testing, a model for health systems nationwide.
Friday, Sept 20. | 11:15AM—12:30PM
Mark Tuthill, MD, FASCP, Division Head for Pathology Informatics at
Henry Ford Health System in Detroit and a leader of the Association for
Pathology Informatics will moderate.
This session will examine the dramatic advances in pathology informatics and the important role the field will play in improving the delivery of health care.
- Panelists include clinical informatics experts Bruce Friedman, MD, FASCP, and Ulysses Balis, MD, FASCP, both of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.,
Explore our Meeting-At-A-Glance and use our Session Finder to find out more about all the education and events available at the 2013 ASCP Annual Meeting.
View Accreditation Information